GPS tracking leads police to pharmacy robbers
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - November 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- A major break in a long string of robberies came at the Rite Aid Pharmacy on Roosevelt Boulevard in Northeast Philadelphia last night.
Police say a pair of armed bandits made off with a stash of stolen narcotics, including a bottle of pills planted by police containing GPS tracking devices.
Police traced the getaway car down Roosevelt Boulevard to a house on the 6700 block of Torresdale Avenue where they busted the suspects.
They also seized two guns, the suspected getaway vehicle, and the drugs believed to be stolen from the Rite Aid.
City and federal authorities believe the two captured are the ones who've pulled off a total of 18 drug store robberies this year.
A joint task force has been targeting them for months.
"We're hoping to be able to tie some of these others jobs into it. We have a case opened on 17 other drug store type robberies for Hobbs Act violations. We're certainly working with Philly today and trying to see if these are linked," ATF Special Agent Donald Robinson said.
The armed robberies occurred in the Northeast and nearby Montgomery County since January, taking cash and prescription drugs including OxyContin, Percocet, and Xanax.
Last night's caper appears to fit the bill.
"Philly police department made the arrest. It was a timely arrest after the robbery. They were able to seize some valuable evidence," Robinson said.
Police have not released the names of the suspects.
philadelphia, northeast philadelphia, robbery, local/state, vernon odom
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 45 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 8 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 24 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 29 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 35 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 53 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 44 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 53 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
24 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
29 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila....
44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
45 min ago