Brick Township still reeling from Sandy
BRICK TWP., N.J. - November 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's inevitable that some communities will fare better than others in the aftermath of a storm like Hurricane Sandy, but that's little consolation to the people of Brick Township, Ocean County.
"The land that time forgot that's where we are right now. That's how I feel," Link Hollis of Brick Township said.
Hollis speaks for many residents in the Brick community of Baywood, Mandalay, Shore Acres who've had it after 17 days without power.
"I just want my electric back. I can't stay in my house without electric; there's no way," Joan from Brick Township said.
Today was the first day since the hurricane that some residents have seen state inspectors and JCP&L teams going door to door in these neighborhoods checking to see if the electric service to the homes was compromised by flooding.
If so, those panels and meters will have to be replaced and inspected before the power is turned back on.
Everyone is frustrated.
"In my 70 years, I have never felt this way. I'm a very patient woman, but my patience is gone," resident Susan Blakely said.
Power isn't the issue for Rose Marie Nausedas, after getting 4-and-a-half feet of water in her house, it's now not fit to live in anymore.
"Everything that I have is gone. 38 years is sitting out in the lawn," Nausedas said.
Among those watching what is happening here are 25 troopers from Louisiana who've been helping to patrol the streets.
"We understand they are going through a lot. Their lives are being disrupted from what they do normally and we're just here to show our support and let them know things are going to get better," Sgt. Jonas Martin of the Louisiana State Police said.
For its part, JCP&L says it knows customers are frustrated, but power needs to be turned back on systematically and safely.
There's no word yet on when everyone will get their electric back.
new jersey, hurricane sandy - nj shore, hurricane sandy, hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, local/state, nora muchanic
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 1 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash 29 min ago
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- Carolers to perform for cancer patient in...
1 min ago