Brick Township still reeling from Sandy
BRICK TWP., N.J. - November 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's inevitable that some communities will fare better than others in the aftermath of a storm like Hurricane Sandy, but that's little consolation to the people of Brick Township, Ocean County.
"The land that time forgot that's where we are right now. That's how I feel," Link Hollis of Brick Township said.
Hollis speaks for many residents in the Brick community of Baywood, Mandalay, Shore Acres who've had it after 17 days without power.
"I just want my electric back. I can't stay in my house without electric; there's no way," Joan from Brick Township said.
Today was the first day since the hurricane that some residents have seen state inspectors and JCP&L teams going door to door in these neighborhoods checking to see if the electric service to the homes was compromised by flooding.
If so, those panels and meters will have to be replaced and inspected before the power is turned back on.
Everyone is frustrated.
"In my 70 years, I have never felt this way. I'm a very patient woman, but my patience is gone," resident Susan Blakely said.
Power isn't the issue for Rose Marie Nausedas, after getting 4-and-a-half feet of water in her house, it's now not fit to live in anymore.
"Everything that I have is gone. 38 years is sitting out in the lawn," Nausedas said.
Among those watching what is happening here are 25 troopers from Louisiana who've been helping to patrol the streets.
"We understand they are going through a lot. Their lives are being disrupted from what they do normally and we're just here to show our support and let them know things are going to get better," Sgt. Jonas Martin of the Louisiana State Police said.
For its part, JCP&L says it knows customers are frustrated, but power needs to be turned back on systematically and safely.
There's no word yet on when everyone will get their electric back.
new jersey, hurricane sandy - nj shore, hurricane sandy, hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, local/state, nora muchanic
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm causes multiple accidents, delays at airport 50 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 1 min ago
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm 1 min ago
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com!
- Video: Eagles fan tailgate in the snow
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
48 min ago