Brick Township still reeling from Sandy
BRICK TWP., N.J. - November 13, 2012 (WPVI) -- It's inevitable that some communities will fare better than others in the aftermath of a storm like Hurricane Sandy, but that's little consolation to the people of Brick Township, Ocean County.
"The land that time forgot that's where we are right now. That's how I feel," Link Hollis of Brick Township said.
Hollis speaks for many residents in the Brick community of Baywood, Mandalay, Shore Acres who've had it after 17 days without power.
"I just want my electric back. I can't stay in my house without electric; there's no way," Joan from Brick Township said.
Today was the first day since the hurricane that some residents have seen state inspectors and JCP&L teams going door to door in these neighborhoods checking to see if the electric service to the homes was compromised by flooding.
If so, those panels and meters will have to be replaced and inspected before the power is turned back on.
Everyone is frustrated.
"In my 70 years, I have never felt this way. I'm a very patient woman, but my patience is gone," resident Susan Blakely said.
Power isn't the issue for Rose Marie Nausedas, after getting 4-and-a-half feet of water in her house, it's now not fit to live in anymore.
"Everything that I have is gone. 38 years is sitting out in the lawn," Nausedas said.
Among those watching what is happening here are 25 troopers from Louisiana who've been helping to patrol the streets.
"We understand they are going through a lot. Their lives are being disrupted from what they do normally and we're just here to show our support and let them know things are going to get better," Sgt. Jonas Martin of the Louisiana State Police said.
For its part, JCP&L says it knows customers are frustrated, but power needs to be turned back on systematically and safely.
There's no word yet on when everyone will get their electric back.
new jersey, hurricane sandy - nj shore, hurricane sandy, hurricanes and tropical storms, severe weather, local/state, nora muchanic
- 2 dead in police involved shootings
- Very unsettled Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Surveillance released in fatal Camden shooting
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
- Brutal attack in London heightens terror fears
- Man shot to death while questioned in Boston probe
- 4 Americans killed since 2009 in US drone strikes
- Finding the perfect bra
- OTRC: Critics' Choice Television Awards nominees