Fire at Del. hardware store causes $500K in damage
SEAFORD, Del. (AP) - November 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Delaware fire officials believe a fire that tore through a century-old hardware store caused about $500,000 in damage.
The fire happened Monday night at Burton Bros. Hardware in Seaford. The store has been in continuous operation since 1893, and the building has been listed since the 1970s on the National Register of Historic Places.
The brothers who operate the store, Ron and Ric Marvel, responded to the blaze as members of the Seaford Volunteer Fire Department. Ron Marvel told the News Journal of Wilmington that he would continue making deliveries to his customers, even though the store's basement was flooded and most of the merchandise had been damaged by water or smoke.
His brother, Ric, was being treated at a Pennsylvania hospital for smoke inhalation.
fire, delaware, local/state
- 3rd Phila. police-involved shooting in 2 days
- Lots of clouds, damp today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river 29 min ago
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina
- Woman convicted in fiance's wedding day death
- 3 injured in Coatesville industrial accident
- Chesco man accused of sex assault on 2 young boys
- Employee injured, suspect wanted in Hatfield robbery
- Video: Time lapse of Seaside Heights boardwalk... 19 min ago
- NJ: Caramel-colored rubbing alcohol sold as scotch
- Runways reopen after emergency at Heathrow Airport 33 min ago
- Actress Bynes arrested in NYC on marijuana charge
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington river
29 min ago