Fire at Del. hardware store causes $500K in damage
SEAFORD, Del. (AP) - November 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Delaware fire officials believe a fire that tore through a century-old hardware store caused about $500,000 in damage.
The fire happened Monday night at Burton Bros. Hardware in Seaford. The store has been in continuous operation since 1893, and the building has been listed since the 1970s on the National Register of Historic Places.
The brothers who operate the store, Ron and Ric Marvel, responded to the blaze as members of the Seaford Volunteer Fire Department. Ron Marvel told the News Journal of Wilmington that he would continue making deliveries to his customers, even though the store's basement was flooded and most of the merchandise had been damaged by water or smoke.
His brother, Ric, was being treated at a Pennsylvania hospital for smoke inhalation.
fire, delaware, local/state
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought 43 min ago
- Tracking Weekend Storm 4 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills 23 min ago
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash 46 min ago
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle 35 min ago
- Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
14 min ago
- Firefighter adopts abused cat
31 min ago
- Tracking Weekend Storm
4 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos