New trial denied in 1989 Pa. rape, murder of girl
EASTON, Pa. (AP) - November 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- A judge has denied a request for a new trial for an eastern Pennsylvania man convicted of raping and strangling an 11-year-old eastern girl more than two decades ago.
Forty-four-year-old Scott Oliver of Easton is serving a life sentence in the August 1989 murder of Melissa Jaroschak, a native of Phillipsburg, N.J. who lived in Easton. He has appealed, citing new DNA evidence.
But Northampton County Judge Leonard Zito ruled Tuesday that even with the new tests, Oliver would likely still be convicted in the slaying given that his hair was found on her body and three witnesses testified that he confessed. Zito also said the two tests are "inconclusive" given their differing results.
Oliver's court-appointed attorney, Victor Scomillio, said his client is likely to appeal to Superior Court.
trial, rape, homicide, pennsylvania, local/state
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville
- Stray Shower, Patchy Fog Tonight 37 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Tornadoes hit Kansas, Oklahoma; no injuries reported 34 min ago
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested 5 min ago
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- Hofstra student killed by police during break-in
- Woman faces DUI charges after NE Phila. crash
- Phillies rally for 3-2 over Reds
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list