FOP: Officer who punched woman to be charged
PHILADELPHIA - November 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Sources in the Philadelphia Fraternal Order of Police tell Action News that the police lieutenant who was caught on video punching a woman will be charged.
However, the district attorney's office said formal charges against Lt. Jonathan Josey have not been filed at this time.
The video, which was shot after the Puerto Rican Day Parade on Sunday, September 30th was uploaded to YouTube the same day.
The incident took place at 5th and Lehigh where a traditional after-party was taking place following the parade. Police had been called there for a man who was driving erratically.
The video begins with a number of officers on the scene for the traffic stop. The woman involved, 39-year-old Aida Guzman, can be seen jumping behind the officers with something in her hand.
A few moments into the video, an unidentified man behind Guzman throws a liquid at the gathered officers.
Guzman turns around in that direction, as does Lt. Josey, who is wearing a white shirt. Lt. Josey then approaches Guzman and punches her in the face.
As the video continues, Guzman is seen being taken away by police with blood on her face.
Guzman was initially charged with disorderly conduct, but that charge was later dropped. A few days alter, she received a personal apology from Mayor Michael Nutter.
Lt. Josey was assigned to Highway Patrol and was a 19 year veteran of the force.
philadelphia, police, mayor michael nutter, charles ramsey, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 24 min ago
- Sunny and chilly 21 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat 23 min ago
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd. 47 min ago
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino 25 min ago
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Sunny and chilly
21 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
23 min ago