FOP: Officer who punched woman to be charged
PHILADELPHIA - November 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Sources in the Philadelphia Fraternal Order of Police tell Action News that the police lieutenant who was caught on video punching a woman will be charged.
However, the district attorney's office said formal charges against Lt. Jonathan Josey have not been filed at this time.
The video, which was shot after the Puerto Rican Day Parade on Sunday, September 30th was uploaded to YouTube the same day.
The incident took place at 5th and Lehigh where a traditional after-party was taking place following the parade. Police had been called there for a man who was driving erratically.
The video begins with a number of officers on the scene for the traffic stop. The woman involved, 39-year-old Aida Guzman, can be seen jumping behind the officers with something in her hand.
A few moments into the video, an unidentified man behind Guzman throws a liquid at the gathered officers.
Guzman turns around in that direction, as does Lt. Josey, who is wearing a white shirt. Lt. Josey then approaches Guzman and punches her in the face.
As the video continues, Guzman is seen being taken away by police with blood on her face.
Guzman was initially charged with disorderly conduct, but that charge was later dropped. A few days alter, she received a personal apology from Mayor Michael Nutter.
Lt. Josey was assigned to Highway Patrol and was a 19 year veteran of the force.
philadelphia, police, mayor michael nutter, charles ramsey, local/state
- Lockdown at high school in Bethlehem 5 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today 44 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 8 min ago
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 49 min ago
- Minivan, car collide head-on in Paoli 46 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Lockdown lifted at Pennsbury High School
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA 52 min ago
- Elderly woman hurt in East Windsor apartment fire 28 min ago
- 19-year-old struck, killed in Bordentown ID'd
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
39 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos