20 cats found living in deplorable conditions in Phila. home
RHAWNHURST - November 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- SPCA officials have removed at least 20 cats from a home in the Rhawnhurst section of Philadelphia.
After receiving a whole lot of phone calls from aggravated neighbors, officers executed search warrants at the home in the 1900 block of Emerson Avenue as part of a hoarding investigation on Wednesday.
"It's exactly what we suspected, a typical hoarder house," SPCA Director of Humane Law Enforcement George Bengal said.
When animal control officers arrived at the home they found piles and piles of trash and filth filling the duplex which is occupied by one person.
The SPCA also found 20 cats and one dog so far living in these deplorable conditions.
"The house is pretty bad inside. The ammonia level in the property is just literally through the roof. You have wear hazmat and respiratory masks inside just to breathe," Bengal said.
The property has been the focus of an on-going month-long investigation with animal control officers executing the search warrant today.
Responding officers say conditions inside are so deplorable, it could take another day to determine if there are any dead animals buried under all that filth.
Officials from Philadelphia's Licenses and Inspections department are expected to condemn the property, the SPCA said.
Officers are looking for the suspected owner, a woman, for questioning. Her name has not been released.
philadelphia, northeast philadelphia, animals, animal abuse, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera 50 min ago
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 53 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...