20 cats found living in deplorable conditions in Phila. home
RHAWNHURST - November 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- SPCA officials have removed at least 20 cats from a home in the Rhawnhurst section of Philadelphia.
After receiving a whole lot of phone calls from aggravated neighbors, officers executed search warrants at the home in the 1900 block of Emerson Avenue as part of a hoarding investigation on Wednesday.
"It's exactly what we suspected, a typical hoarder house," SPCA Director of Humane Law Enforcement George Bengal said.
When animal control officers arrived at the home they found piles and piles of trash and filth filling the duplex which is occupied by one person.
The SPCA also found 20 cats and one dog so far living in these deplorable conditions.
"The house is pretty bad inside. The ammonia level in the property is just literally through the roof. You have wear hazmat and respiratory masks inside just to breathe," Bengal said.
The property has been the focus of an on-going month-long investigation with animal control officers executing the search warrant today.
Responding officers say conditions inside are so deplorable, it could take another day to determine if there are any dead animals buried under all that filth.
Officials from Philadelphia's Licenses and Inspections department are expected to condemn the property, the SPCA said.
Officers are looking for the suspected owner, a woman, for questioning. Her name has not been released.
philadelphia, northeast philadelphia, animals, animal abuse, local/state
- Photos: Pictures from Easter Sunday services 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy 40 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy 56 min ago
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate Easter 23 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76 21 min ago
- Man shot, killed in Gloucester Twp. apartment
- Man found shot in minivan in Tioga-Nicetown 22 min ago
- Girl hospitalized after near-drowning in Philly hotel
- 2 injured after car hits Camden police cruiser
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Divers pull more bodies from sunken South Korean ferry
- Video: Snowmobiler charged by angry moose
- 5,000 turn out for Easter service in Mt. Airy
56 min ago
- Pope Francis, huge crowd joyously celebrate...
52 min ago
- AccuWeather: Easter to be comfortable, breezy
40 min ago