Police: 76-year-old in Radnor abduction attempt had hit list
RADNOR, Pa. - November 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police have arrested a 76-year-old Florida man in connection with an elaborate abduction attempt in Delaware County.
Radnor police say 76-year-old John Felder attempted to abduct a Villanova resident last Wednesday.
The attempted abduction happened on what sources tell Action News was once the Hope Montgomery Scott Estate - Androssan.
Authorities seized evidence from Felder including a Taser, flex cuffs, gloves, license plates and a mask.
Police say Felder posed as a flower delivery man during his kidnapping attempt.
"As he handed the floral arrangement over to the individual, he reached into his pocket, pulled out a Taser, and fired the Taser at the homeowner," Radnor Police Superintendent William Colarulo said.
Colarulo said only one of the Taser prongs struck the victim; the other one missed.
"The victim was able to shut the door and call 911," Colarulo said.
Detectives say Felder, who lives in Miami, Florida, made one major mistake.
He got a parking ticket while buying the flowers for his ruse at a Wayne flower shop.
Good detective work led police to Felder.
A warrant was issued for his arrest.
Felder was tracked down after trying to buy a gun at a Poconos gun show.
A background check led to police arresting him on the spot.
"One of the other reasons he was in the Poconos is he rented a location there where he planned to keep his victim," Colarulo said. Police believe money is the motive.
Felder recently ran into financial trouble.
Investigators say he's admitted to the crime and detectives have recovered a ransom note demanding gold and rare coins because they're more difficult to trace
Police are protecting the victim's identity, but he was uninjured.
"We have information to believe that Mr. Felder, for lack of a better turn, had a hit list. He had individuals that he was targeting that he felt may have had significant amount of money that could pay a ransom," Colarulo said.
Felder has been charged with aggravated assault. Kidnapping charges are pending.
pennsylvania, delaware county, abduction, local/state, chad pradelli
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes 40 min ago
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday 35 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents 39 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living 38 min ago
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt 45 min ago
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery 41 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 33 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 31 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
35 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire...
40 min ago
- Rescuers airlift horse out of Angeles...
29 min ago