Police: Man stabbed by cell phone store clerk
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - November 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police say the clerk who stabbed a customer inside a cell phone store in Delaware County remains on the loose.
The incident happened 1:00 p.m. Tuesday at a T-Mobile store at 1884 State Road in Upper Darby.
Police say a 59-year-old Philadelphia man had stopped in with a question about his bill.
"Apparently he was double-billed. During the course of the verbal exchange, it becomes heated," said Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood. "The next thing you know it becomes physical."
At one point the man rips off the name tag of the 21-year-old T-Mobile clerk, Darnell Schoolfield.
"As the victim is going out of the store after the altercation, you can see store clerk stab him in the side," Chitwood said.
The victim was able to drive himself to the police station to report the assault, not realizing he had been stabbed.
"He looks down and sees blood pouring out of his side and said 'Oh my God, I'm stabbed," said Chitwood.
The man who was stabbed was originally listed in critical condition but has since improved.
As for Schoolfield, police say he fled the scene and police are still looking for him. Once he is arrested, police say he will be charged with attempted homicide and aggravated assault.
T-Mobile put out a statement saying the company was "shocked" and "saddened" by what happened.
pennsylvania, delaware county, upper darby, stabbing, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 39 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat 8 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar 15 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 58 min ago
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute 12 min ago
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death 19 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 3 min ago
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley 3 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty 14 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
58 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos