Police bust alleged prostitution operation in Old City
OLD CITY - November 14, 2012 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police busted what they say is a prostitution operation in Philadelphia's Old City section.
Police add it's not the first time they've been there.
Action News was on the scene Wednesday morning when police raided 42 Basement on South 3rd Street in the heart of the city's historic section.
Police had received information from the National Human Trafficking Conference that there was the possibility of prostitution activity going on involving individuals who may have been trafficked.
Among them was an alleged juvenile prostitute who was being physically abused.
"Obviously, when you have the allegation of underage females being trafficked, we put a priority on that," Lt. Charles Green of the Vice Enforcement Unit said.
The establishment had placed ads in area newspapers advertising itself as a massage parlor and offering body shampoos, relaxation and dry sauna.
But police say an undercover officer soon established that there was a lot more going on here at 42 Basement.
Thor Brucher, a resident of Old City, said there were many signs the place was more than a massage parlor.
"The red light underneath, the gate always being open and people coming in and out. Everyone knew," Brucher said.
"Since 1998, we've been to this location a total of seven times and made over 25 arrests," Lt. Green said.
In the end, police found no evidence of the young woman, alleged to be a prostitute, was being physically abused.
But they did arrest three women at 42 Basement and charged them with soliciting prostitution.
philadelphia, old city, prostitution, local/state, dann cuellar
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike
- Temps Soar 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport 48 min ago
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
47 min ago
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila...
48 min ago