Operation Warm celebrates 1 million coats
November 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- A local non-profit has been keeping kids warm for 14 years now, and recently passed a major milestone.
But, Operation Warm says it's just getting started.
Operation Warm gave the one-millionth coat to a 6-year-old girl in Philadelphia earlier this year. Carey Palmquist, executive director of the non-profit organization, says that was a huge milestone.
The charity started back in 1998 with just 58 coats. Palmquist says more people are in need right now, due to our struggling economy.
"The families that are teetering between poverty and not poverty have sort of tipped the scales and many that were on the brink are in poverty and so the numbers have really escalated since 2008," according to Palmquist.
Operation Warm is unique in how it collaborates with schools, churches and shelters to find children in need, and help put them in brand new coats, immediately.
The organization is also ready to help in the aftermath of disasters. The day after Superstorm Sandy, Operation Warm was armed and ready with warm coats for those families that lost virtually everything.
"We've raised thousands of dollars and shipped in about 7,000 coats for Sandy relief we've been very blessed," Palmquist says. "FedEx has been very kind to ship those coats for us so we've been able to get them there very quickly."
You can visit Operation Warm's website if you'd like to make a donation for a new coat, or make a donation to Operation Warm's Sandy relief efforts.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, charity, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target 9 min ago
- Turning Milder 8 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in New Castle Co. 11 min ago
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
9 min ago