Operation Warm celebrates 1 million coats
November 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- A local non-profit has been keeping kids warm for 14 years now, and recently passed a major milestone.
But, Operation Warm says it's just getting started.
Operation Warm gave the one-millionth coat to a 6-year-old girl in Philadelphia earlier this year. Carey Palmquist, executive director of the non-profit organization, says that was a huge milestone.
The charity started back in 1998 with just 58 coats. Palmquist says more people are in need right now, due to our struggling economy.
"The families that are teetering between poverty and not poverty have sort of tipped the scales and many that were on the brink are in poverty and so the numbers have really escalated since 2008," according to Palmquist.
Operation Warm is unique in how it collaborates with schools, churches and shelters to find children in need, and help put them in brand new coats, immediately.
The organization is also ready to help in the aftermath of disasters. The day after Superstorm Sandy, Operation Warm was armed and ready with warm coats for those families that lost virtually everything.
"We've raised thousands of dollars and shipped in about 7,000 coats for Sandy relief we've been very blessed," Palmquist says. "FedEx has been very kind to ship those coats for us so we've been able to get them there very quickly."
You can visit Operation Warm's website if you'd like to make a donation for a new coat, or make a donation to Operation Warm's Sandy relief efforts.
philadelphia, pennsylvania, charity, local/state
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Tracking Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos