Community aids mother, 4 children displaced in fire
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - November 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- A fire has destroyed the home of Tanesha Waiters and her four boys in North Philadelphia, now the community is coming together to show an extraordinary sense of generosity.
Tanesha Waiters was in distress Thursday night after losing her home just before the holidays.
"I may have lost my house, but I still have my family and my kids," said Tanesha.
It was just after 10:00 a.m. Thursday morning in the 1700 block of Gratz Street that the devastating fire broke out.
"My house was destroyed. It was gone. We lost everything," she said.
She had gone to work and the children were in school when the fast-moving blaze broke out.
Crews arrived to find heavy fire on all three floors of an occupied home. It took them about half an hour to get the situation under control.
One firefighter was hospitalized and is expected to be treated and released.
"Thank God everybody got their life. We'll start all over," said Tanesha Waiters.
The place had been home for several generations of Waiters family members for 45 years.
Minutes after the story aired, Action News viewers began calling offering clothes, food anything to help Waiters and her 4 young boys.
Tanesha Waiters was staying with relatives when Action News stopped by to tell her the news.
"The outpouring of love and support from the community and just everybody, this is just so nice," said James Waiters.
Among those reaching out to help are members of Hahnemann University Hospital's pre-procedure unit was among those reaching out to help. They sponsor a family every year for Christmas, and this year they decided to sponsor Tanesha Waiters and her family.
And then there was the gentleman offering his home in West Philadelphia which is currently sitting vacant.
"I appreciate everything, everything," said Tanesha.
Waiters and her children, cousins and uncles were overwhelmed by the viewers' generous offers of assistance. They say the holidays will be a little brighter as they move to recover from their devastating loss.
There is till no word what sparked the fire.
philadelphia, fire, north philadelphia, local/state, dann cuellar
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos