City worker murdered inside Atlantic City home
ATLANTIC CITY - November 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- A public works employee for Atlantic City was murdered inside his home early Friday morning.
Atlantic City employee Thomas Polk by all accounts a 49-year-old church-going man who lost his wife Dale two months ago.
Polk's body was found inside his Ohio Avenue home Friday morning. Sources say he had been shot multiple times and beaten.
Police were called to the home at 1055 Ohio Avenue shortly after 8:00 a.m.
The major crimes division of the Atlantic County Prosecutor's Office is now leading the investigation.
Police believe he was a robbery victim, with sources saying his vehicle, a green Jeep, was stolen.
Polk's longtime neighbors are shocked.
"He was a quiet guy," said Larry Wilson. "It's sad, just sad."
Relatives, friends and neighbors gathered on the corner to stare at the crime scene, some are convinced the motive was robbery.
Polk also worked as a security guard.
"He wasn't into anything negative," said Brother David Mohammad.
Polk's relatives are in shock as well, with no idea why someone would want to kill him.
"He was a good man," said Mia Bailey.
"All I can say is he was a hard worker. Whatever happened, hopefully justice will be served," said co-worker Tyron Muhammad. "Nobody deserves to go out that way."
The murder scene is right around the corner from the home of Atlantic City Mayor Lorzenzo Langford.
new jersey, atlantic city, homicide, local/state, vernon odom
- 4 charged with murder in deadly NJ mall carjacking
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish