Local shops get support with Small Business Saturday
November 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- "Small Business Saturday," gave people the opportunity to buy holiday gifts at local shops and businesses instead of big name stores.
Bundled up, but ready to shop, people packed the streets of Manayunk to browse, buy and support local shops.
By shopping small, people are helping 'mom and pop' stores in a big way this holiday season.
"A lot of people see great deals at Target, Walmart but we can't compete with that," said Mary Guiles.
A still dicey economy has stores like Longitudes and Latitudes on Main Street, bringing in a wide range of merchandise to please the entire family, without bouncing their budget.
"She wants to make this a one stop shop, he's brought in gifts for men, tremendous amount of children's toys in the back. We want it to be affordable for everyone," said Dana Podob.
Shoppers across the river in Haddonfield, New Jersey also took advantage of special sales, smiles with Santa and a day of free street parking.
Dominic Bottino drove up from Vineland to buy holiday gifts at family-owned shops.
"It's America, it's the United States and this is the kind of thing that built our country. Not that malls haven't but this is where regular people earn their living," said Bottino.
Mary Louise lavery says shopping locally instills a greater sense of community up and down Kings Highway.
"I don't think people realize how much these stores contribute to the local community. They support baseball teams and softball teams and try to contribute to the life and character of downtown," said Lavery.
holidays, shopping, pennsylvania, local/state, jennifer joyce
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 32 min ago
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos