NJ family adopts 4 children during Nat'l Adoption month
VOORHEES, N.J. - November 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- In recognition of National Adoption Month a Voorhees, New Jersey couple stood-out at an annual adoption day event in Camden County Friday.
After adopting their first child 8 years ago, they adopted 4 more children Friday afternoon; the youngest is two.
The two newest official members of the Medina family reacted with cheers as they left Superior Court in Camden Friday.
Yolaika and Jorge Medina embraced adoption, not by necessity, but by choice, adopting their first child, Yolaika's sister's daughter Chasity in 2004.
They adopted her sister's two sons, Antonio and Dennis, two years later.
The couple had planned to adopt two more of her sister's kids, but she became well enough to regain custody.
Soon after, the state contacted them saying 4-year-old Vera and her 5-year-old brother Owen needed a home.
"Never did I think I would open my home to a stranger," said Yolaika Medina. "But I have to say the minute I saw these kids walk into my home, I just knew."
The adoptions became final on Friday.
"I feel excited because we are saving two little kids' lives," said 10-year-old Antonio Medina.
Yolaika worked in the surrogate's office and witnessed her first adoption at age 16.
"I always knew that it was something I wanted to do in my life," she said.
It was a day full of happiness and emotion.
"We are fortunate to have these children in our lives," said Jorge Medina. "We've learned so much."
"I love them so much. I have no idea what I can do without them," said 9-year-old Dennis Medina.
"I feel like now that I have more brothers and sisters, I have a lot to look forward to, and I am really proud of my mom and dad," said 13-year-old Chasity Medina.
The couple's mission now is to encourage others to adopt.
"You don't need a lot of money. You don't need a big house. A lot of love is all you need. Everything else falls in place," said Jorge.
adoption, voorhees, new jersey, local/state, lisa thomas-laury
- AG: 29 New Jersey bars swapped top-shelf liquor
- Warm and humid, 80s again today 55 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Faith-healing couple charged in son's death
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released 1 min ago
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers
- 1 dead, 2 injured in 'barbaric' London attack 41 min ago
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- D.A.: Girlfriend's murder in Chesco 'an execution'
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Names of 16 Okla. tornado victims released
1 min ago