$1.1 million bail for suspect in NJ crime spree
FREEHOLD, NJ - November 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Bail has been set at $1.1 million for a man who allegedly shot a cab driver, assaulted a police officer and committed four armed robberies during a two-day crime spree this week in Monmouth County.
Prosecutors say 22-year-old Quam Wilson of Neptune committed the crimes in four coastal towns before being captured Wednesday night. But what spurred the crime spree remains unclear.
The spree allegedly started early Tuesday, when Wilson allegedly shot and robbed a taxi driver in Asbury Park. A few hours later, authorities say Wilson went to several area banks and tried to withdraw money from the driver's account, using items he had stolen in the robbery.
However, his plans were eventually foiled when a bank employee became suspicious and confiscated the items, then called police. Wilson, though, fled the bank before officers arrived.
The wounded taxi driver remained hospitalized Saturday in critical but stable condition. But further details on his injuries were not disclosed.
The crime spree continued Tuesday afternoon, when Wilson allegedly robbed a gas station in Ocean Township and a taxi stand in Long Branch. He then allegedly robbed a Neptune convenience store early Wednesday, and then assaulted a township police officer several hours later during a traffic stop.
Prosecutors say the spree ended when Wilson was arrested at a Neptune home late Wednesday night. He faces numerous charges, including attempted murder, four counts of armed robbery, two counts of aggravated assault and weapons offenses.
It was not known Saturday if Wilson has retained a lawyer.
new jersey, monmouth county, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 50 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 56 min ago
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder 53 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
50 min ago