Scouts collect food for 6abc Dunkin Donut Food Drive
PHILADELPHIA - November 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Boy Scouts were back in neighborhoods Saturday collecting food donations to help those in need.
All it takes is a Webelo, a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout, to tackle hunger in the Philadelphia region.
But they can't do it alone. They are part of a collaborative effort of several scout troops, volunteers, food pantries and 6abc, as part of the 6abc Dunkin Donut Food Drive.
After leaving empty bags on local doorsteps last week with a request for non-perishables, the scouts returned Saturday to collect them and brought them to St. Christopher's Church in Northeast Philadelphia.
"I think it's a great opportunity, and I'm happy we are able to help out a lot of people," said Gregory Padilla.
Gregory Padilla's grandmother thinks Hurricane Sandy increased this year's need for the annual event. Last year they collected more than 40 tons of food.
"We're hoping they do better than last year because of all the people suffering today. The storm was an awful thing that happened," said Kathy Burke.
"It feels fun," said Matthew Galanaugh. "I like walking up and down the streets and getting the bags."
For Matthew Galanaugh's family, this drive hits home.
His father Frank is now helping sons Matthew and Stephen, but he used to be the one receiving the food.
"I grew up benefitting from the Boy Scout drive," said Frank Galanaugh. "I need my children to understand where my family came from and where we are now."
After sorting the food, the National Guard loads it onto a tractor trailer and will hand deliver it to area food pantries including Philabundance.
Throughout the day, people came to donate by dropping off or unloading car loads.
And if you didn't get a chance to donate today, you haven't missed out. The Boy Scouts will be collecting during the 6abc Dunkin Donut Thanksgiving Day Parade.
thanksgiving parade, food, 6abc, northeast philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Hunt for missing Malaysian jet widens 2 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash 32 min ago
- Pa. Turnpike pileup focus of senate hearing 11 min ago
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos