3 injured in North Phila. house fire
PHILADELPHIA - November 17, 2012 (WPVI) -- Three adults have been injured and three children rescued in a North Philadelphia house fire Saturday night.
Fire broke out just before 8:30 p.m. in a 2nd floor apartment at 2548 North 17th Street. Police received reports of people trapped inside.
It was a scary scene as people worked to save the family trapped inside.
A mother suffered third degree burns and two other adults were taken to Temple University Hospital for smoke inhalation.
Witnesses say it was a fast moving fire that ripped through the second floor apartment of the row, and there were reports that a family of six were trapped inside.
"It was smoke, fire, everything, but I didn't care about any of that, I just went and tried to help the kids and the parents," said Geneva Nunez.
Neighbors, including Geneva Nunez, jumped into action around 8:30 p.m. Saturday night when they saw the heavy smoke and flames shooting from the windows.
Three adults, a grandmother along with a man and a woman believed to be the parents three small children, were all inside.
"I ran across the street, and I saw everybody trying to get out," said Nunez. "I took the two little girls and took them to the house, and I then I went after the father, the mother and the baby boy."
Nunez also got the grandmother to safety before she found the father and the mother who was holding the little boy in the doorway. "The mother was on the floor, right there where all of the stuff was falling into her face, and her face was just getting burned up. And I was like, 'can somebody keep trying to pull her out?'" said Nunez.
Firefighters arrived and worked for a half hour trying to get the fire under control.
Those who feared for the family were thankful no one was killed.
Firefighters say the injuries to the family appear to be non-life threatening as they recover at Temple University Hospital.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
fire, north philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state
- 2 million dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Gloucester Twp. school put on precautionary lockout 33 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill
- Husband charged with wife's murder in Bethlehem
- Police: Job applicant stole from tip jar 46 min ago
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken
- Man shot several times in stomach in Chester
- Sunoco moving to Delco, Citibank leaving Philly
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor