Thousands take part in annual Phila. Marathon
PHILADELPHIA - November 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Nearly 30,000 runners from across the country took to the streets for the 2012 Philadelphia Marathon.
Every year the race attracts people from just about all 50 states and several other countries.
The marathon winners were Mike McKeeman of Ardmore, with an unofficial time of 2:17:50 and Irina Mashkantceva from Russia, with an unofficial time of 2:35:35.
This year's event was unique in that an extra 3,000 spots were opened to runners who had registered for the New York Marathon. That race was canceled in the wake of Hurricane Sandy.
About 1,400 runners took advantage of the offer.
"When Philly opened up 3,000 spots it felt good to put our hard work to use," said Megan Wiseman.
"This was great, the fact that they opened up 3.000 spots was such a nice gesture for the runners who wanted to run two weeks ago. Everyone around here was so supportive, the crowd support was awesome. It was a great race," said Josh Belleville.
Race officials say that $100 from every New York runner's entry fee is being donated the American Red Cross.
The City of Philadelphia benefits economically from the marathon as well.
"There are multi-million dollars of economic benefits to the City of Philadelphia from the Philadelphia Marathon. A lot of retail, people staying overnight and it's a great thing for the city," said Mayor Michael Nutter.
Street closures will remain in effect throughout part of the afternoon.
philadelphia, local/state, amy buckman
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports 14 min ago
- Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Female suspect arrested in Christmas package theft
- Would-be robber stabbed; suspect's mom talks
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million
- Local men reflects on meeting with Mandela 40 min ago
- Center City rape victim speaks to Action News
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish
- Area medical schools use 'Jeopardy' as learning tool
- Freebie Friday
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate...
14 min ago