Breaking ground on $100M residence hall near Temple
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - November 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Developers are breaking ground for a $100-million residential facility for Temple University students at the site of the former John Wanamaker School.
The entire project site encompasses four and a half acres, but Monday's ceremony is just for the first phase of the project - the residence hall, which will be situated along W Montgomery Avenue near 12th Street.
Foundation work began in September but it was all made official with the ground breaking ceremony Monday morning. In attendance at the ceremony was the developer accompanied by staff from Temple and elected officials.
The $100-million 832 bed facility is not owned by the school. The project is a Goldenberg Group development. The developer calls it a "mixed use student residence" - not a dorm. These are going to be furnished apartments with full kitchens and living rooms. There will also be a fitness center and computer labs.
The residence hall is going to be a 320,000 square foot, 14-story apartment building with more than 200 units. There will also be space on the first floor for retail.
The developer says this will meet a growing need for student housing.
Kevin Trapper of the Goldenberg Group tells Action News, "Temple over the last five years has just been exploding in enrollment. And as much as they are building new housing in their plans and new developments, there's still not enough housing here to house basically all of their freshman and sophomore classes."
With that said, the developer says they plan on targeting juniors and seniors to live in the development, located just off campus. However, the facility is not restricted - anyone can live there.
The project is slated for completion in 2014.
education, college, north philadelphia, temple university, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif.
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases