Breaking ground on $100M residence hall near Temple
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - November 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Developers are breaking ground for a $100-million residential facility for Temple University students at the site of the former John Wanamaker School.
The entire project site encompasses four and a half acres, but Monday's ceremony is just for the first phase of the project - the residence hall, which will be situated along W Montgomery Avenue near 12th Street.
Foundation work began in September but it was all made official with the ground breaking ceremony Monday morning. In attendance at the ceremony was the developer accompanied by staff from Temple and elected officials.
The $100-million 832 bed facility is not owned by the school. The project is a Goldenberg Group development. The developer calls it a "mixed use student residence" - not a dorm. These are going to be furnished apartments with full kitchens and living rooms. There will also be a fitness center and computer labs.
The residence hall is going to be a 320,000 square foot, 14-story apartment building with more than 200 units. There will also be space on the first floor for retail.
The developer says this will meet a growing need for student housing.
Kevin Trapper of the Goldenberg Group tells Action News, "Temple over the last five years has just been exploding in enrollment. And as much as they are building new housing in their plans and new developments, there's still not enough housing here to house basically all of their freshman and sophomore classes."
With that said, the developer says they plan on targeting juniors and seniors to live in the development, located just off campus. However, the facility is not restricted - anyone can live there.
The project is slated for completion in 2014.
education, college, north philadelphia, temple university, local/state
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school 25 min ago
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 20 min ago
- Pedestrian struck and killed in Mercer County
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape 29 min ago
- Man struck by SEPTA bus in Wynnefield Heights
- Attack in Center City caught on camera 13 min ago
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam 19 min ago
- Burglary suspect nabbed by quick-thinking neighbor 59 min ago
- Suspect in killing of fmr. Marine surrenders
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover
- Researchers: 'Fit and Fat' a myth 49 min ago
- Walker autopsy complete; 'Fast & Furious 7' halted
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
25 min ago
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up...
29 min ago
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
13 min ago