Police: Girl flees abduction attempt in Northeast Philadelphia
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - November 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police are looking for the man behind the attempted abduction of a middle school student on Monday morning in Northeast Philadelphia.
Investigators say the incident occurred right around 8:00 a.m. Monday on the 6000 block of Summerdale Avenue near Benner Street.
A 14-year-old girl was walking to Carnell Middle School when a man in a vehicle reportedly asked her if she wanted a ride.
The girl tells police that as she tried to walk away, the man ordered her to get into the car.
That's when the teenager says she started running to the nearest crossing guard stationed about a block away.
That crossing guard, who identified herself only as Cindy, says that 14-year-old handled the situation perfectly.
"The girl was a hero as she ran away and didn't get caught," Cindy said. "I didn't see anything. She just ran up to me and told me the information and I called 911."
Philadelphia police are now looking for a person described as an Asian-Indian man in his 40s, clean shaven, with long black hair, wearing thin-framed silver glasses.
Also, he was wearing a puffy maroon and gold jacket and drove off in a blue Toyota Echo. Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police at 215-686-TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPD TIP (773847) or through phillypolice.com.
philadelphia, northeast philadelphia, abduction, local/state
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 47 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures 40 min ago
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
1 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos