Kiki's wish: Inspirational girl's toy drive dream becomes reality
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - November 19, 2012 (WPVI) -- The final wish of a 12-year-old girl who died of kidney cancer just two weeks ago will mean a better holiday season for kids all over the area.
Braving the brisk air of a chilly autumn night, members of 'The Party Rockers' entertained people coming by to drop off toys.
It was last June that the group met a wonderful 12-year-old girl named Kiarah 'Kiki' Bowley who was battling an aggressive kidney cancer.
"She really touched our lives and we really got to know her. We want to make her dream come true," Julianna Scafidi said.
The group raised money to help Kiki get her number one wish: meeting Justin Bieber earlier this year.
Before losing her battle with cancer on November 11th, Kiki's final wish was to hold a toy drive for sick and hospitalized kids.
The Party Rockers and their families decided to make that wish come true by staging an event outside Chickie's & Pete's on Packer Avenue, with another being staged by a salon owner in South Jersey.
"She was such a beautiful kid and she touched so many people. It's amazing, so we're just happy to be a part of it," Party Rockers Executive Producer Kerri Salamone said.
"She was a great person and she just touched everyone's lives," Party Rocker Veralyn Bingham said.
Rosa Duffield of Mullica Hill was among those dropping off toys.
"She just fought to the end, she fought and fought and fought and never gave up. She was always high spirits, always," Duffield said.
And so tonight, Kiki's memory lives on through these girls, the Party Rockers.
All of the toys collected will be distributed to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia just in time for the holidays.
philadelphia, toys, south philadelphia, local/state, dann cuellar
- Plane's landing gear collapses at Phila. Airport
- After a Cold Night, Temps Rebound
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications
- Missing plane sent signals to satellite for hours
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs