Fire erupts at E. Mount Airy apt. building
EAST MOUNT AIRY - November 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- An apartment building was evacuated during a fire on Tuesday afternoon in the East Mount Airy section of Philadelphia.
The fire broke out around 1:30 p.m. in the 800 block of East Vernon Road near Stenton Avenue.
Firefighters say they arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the second floor of the three-story building.
A second alarm was struck a few minutes later as the building was evacuated.
The view from Chopper 6 HD showed smoke billowing from the complex as firefighters battled the flames.
There was no word on how this fire started.
The American Red Cross of Southeastern Pennsylvania is assisting 5 families, 8 people (including 3 children) following the apartment fire. 4 of the families will be staying at Red Cross House.
philadelphia, east mount airy, fire, local/state
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest 22 min ago
- Frost Advisory Overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear 43 min ago
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital 45 min ago
- Police: Elderly man targeted in Chester home invasion 25 min ago
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy 55 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 48 min ago
- WWII vet gets anonymous surprise in Warminster 35 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 54 min ago
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed 56 min ago
- Video: Pa. contender in Sriracha search for new home 15 min ago
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
22 min ago
- Heist investigation leads to Roxborough...
13 min ago
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
43 min ago