Elderly man robbed in Cedarbrook home invasion
CEDARBROOK - November 24, 2012 (WPVI) -- An elderly man was tied up and robbed during a home invasion in the Cedarbrook section of Philadelphia.
It happened Friday night on the 2400 block of 76th Avenue.
72-year-old Stephen Shenk has lived in his home for more than 60 years. He was home alone just after 11:00 pm when three men stormed in.
"They did gag me so I didn't speak and my hands were tied behind my back," said Shenk.
Using cords they bound him, and using a t-shirt they gagged him.
"The first thing they did was have me lie face down and then they tied me up and went through my pockets," said Shenk.
They took $150 in cash, his debit card, his keys and stole his 2005 gray Toyota Corolla.
"They went through my drawers, I don't have any valuables. They asked if I had any drugs, like painkillers, but I don't," said Shenk.
The men had their faces covered with bandanas but Shenk says they did not appear to be armed.
Shenk says he never heard them come in but he believes they came in trough one of his windows, although they are more than 10 feet off the ground.
"It was closed but it wasn't locked so I guess from the outside they were able to lift this up just enough," said Shenk.
One of the suspects may have entered then unlocked his kitchen door to let the others inside.
Police say the suspects used his debit card at an ATM nearby. Detectives are hoping surveillance video will help nab them.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Philadelphia Police at 215.686.TIPS (8477), text a tip to PPDTIP (773847) or email a tip through phillypolice.com.
philadelphia, home invasion, robbery, local/state
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Wet to Wintry
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Police raid alleged chop shop in North Philadelphia
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Feds accused of targeting minorities in stash house stings
- Center City rape victims speaks to Action News
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Arrest in theft of Porsche part from Walker crash