Woman charged with murder in NJ toddler's death
FREEHOLD, N.J. - November 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Prosecutors have filed murder charges against a New Jersey woman who they say fatally shook a 14-month-old baby she was babysitting.
Bail was set Tuesday at $250,000 cash for 44-year-old Michelle Heale of Toms River.
Heale was watching the child in her home on Aug. 28 when he started having breathing problems. The toddler was flown later that day to a children's hospital in Philadelphia, where he died three days later.
Doctors later determined that the boy suffered severe brain, spine and retinal damage from a violent shaking.
Heale's lawyer, Karl Mohel, says his client maintains her innocence.
The case will be heard in Monmouth County, because both the infant's father and Heale's husband both work for the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office.
new jersey, ocean county, baby death, homicide, local/state
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 26 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash 26 min ago
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- Carolers to perform for cancer patient in...
4 min ago