Woman charged with murder in NJ toddler's death
FREEHOLD, N.J. - November 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Prosecutors have filed murder charges against a New Jersey woman who they say fatally shook a 14-month-old baby she was babysitting.
Bail was set Tuesday at $250,000 cash for 44-year-old Michelle Heale of Toms River.
Heale was watching the child in her home on Aug. 28 when he started having breathing problems. The toddler was flown later that day to a children's hospital in Philadelphia, where he died three days later.
Doctors later determined that the boy suffered severe brain, spine and retinal damage from a violent shaking.
Heale's lawyer, Karl Mohel, says his client maintains her innocence.
The case will be heard in Monmouth County, because both the infant's father and Heale's husband both work for the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office.
new jersey, ocean county, baby death, homicide, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos