Woman charged with murder in NJ toddler's death
FREEHOLD, N.J. - November 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Prosecutors have filed murder charges against a New Jersey woman who they say fatally shook a 14-month-old baby she was babysitting.
Bail was set Tuesday at $250,000 cash for 44-year-old Michelle Heale of Toms River.
Heale was watching the child in her home on Aug. 28 when he started having breathing problems. The toddler was flown later that day to a children's hospital in Philadelphia, where he died three days later.
Doctors later determined that the boy suffered severe brain, spine and retinal damage from a violent shaking.
Heale's lawyer, Karl Mohel, says his client maintains her innocence.
The case will be heard in Monmouth County, because both the infant's father and Heale's husband both work for the Ocean County Prosecutor's Office.
new jersey, ocean county, baby death, homicide, local/state
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor 48 min ago
- Warmer Weekend 22 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway 50 min ago
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands 54 min ago
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school 56 min ago
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield 31 min ago
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested 52 min ago
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Video: Flyers' Hartnell co-authors children's book
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova...
48 min ago
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
50 min ago
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for...
54 min ago
- Warmer Weekend
22 min ago