Suspect arrested in Camden County carjackings
CLEMENTON, N.J. - November 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Clementon man is in custody in connection with a rash of carjackings in Camden County.
The suspect, 43-year-old George Meyers, was arrested in Lindenwold Wednesday morning shortly after police say he attempted two more carjackings.
He is charged with two counts of Kidnapping and four counts of Carjacking.
Further charges are expected.
The first incident took place at approximately 8:40 a.m. on November 14th in Pine Hill at West Branch Avenue and Blackwood roads.
Police say the suspect approached an elderly driver stopped at a traffic light.
It is alleged Meyers, armed with a box cutter, got in his vehicle and forced him to drive to North Camden to buy heroin.
Meyers is also accused of taking the victim's cell phone and $400.
Then at about 7:00 a.m. on November 24th a similar incident occurred in Clementon.
Again, police say, an older driver was approached while stopped at a traffic light at Gibbsboro and Blackwood roads.
It is alleged Meyers, armed with a large knife, forced his way into the car.
He took $100 from the driver and ordered him to drive to 8th and Erie streets in Camden, where he got out of the vehicle.
Meyers is accused of attempting to hijack two other passenger vehicles Wednesday morning about 9:30 a.m., though neither attempt was successful.
He is accused of approaching a female driver at a Wawa on 10th Avenue in Lindenwold and entering her car. The woman got out of the car and screamed and Meyers ran.
He then attempted to get in another vehicle at Laurel Avenue and Blackwood Clementon Road, also in Lindenwold, but the female driver of that vehicle struggled with him and he fled.
Meyers was armed with a knife in both incidents.
He was arrested by Lindenwold Police shortly after.
Meyers was transported to the Camden County Jail Wednesday.
new jersey, carjacking, local/state
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide 46 min ago
- Stormy to spectacular 30 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Storms bring floods to the Jersey shore
- Video: Incredible footage of wrong-way bus crash
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Tire dumping probe targets Wilmington shop
- Teacher charged again for indecent exposure
- Construction worker killed on way to job
- US: Unruly traveler had worked at State Department
- $325,000 Cash 5 ticket sold in Philadelphia
- Phillies activate Carlos Ruiz from disabled list
- Mourning NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
46 min ago