Suspect arrested in Camden County carjackings
CLEMENTON, N.J. - November 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Clementon man is in custody in connection with a rash of carjackings in Camden County.
The suspect, 43-year-old George Meyers, was arrested in Lindenwold Wednesday morning shortly after police say he attempted two more carjackings.
He is charged with two counts of Kidnapping and four counts of Carjacking.
Further charges are expected.
The first incident took place at approximately 8:40 a.m. on November 14th in Pine Hill at West Branch Avenue and Blackwood roads.
Police say the suspect approached an elderly driver stopped at a traffic light.
It is alleged Meyers, armed with a box cutter, got in his vehicle and forced him to drive to North Camden to buy heroin.
Meyers is also accused of taking the victim's cell phone and $400.
Then at about 7:00 a.m. on November 24th a similar incident occurred in Clementon.
Again, police say, an older driver was approached while stopped at a traffic light at Gibbsboro and Blackwood roads.
It is alleged Meyers, armed with a large knife, forced his way into the car.
He took $100 from the driver and ordered him to drive to 8th and Erie streets in Camden, where he got out of the vehicle.
Meyers is accused of attempting to hijack two other passenger vehicles Wednesday morning about 9:30 a.m., though neither attempt was successful.
He is accused of approaching a female driver at a Wawa on 10th Avenue in Lindenwold and entering her car. The woman got out of the car and screamed and Meyers ran.
He then attempted to get in another vehicle at Laurel Avenue and Blackwood Clementon Road, also in Lindenwold, but the female driver of that vehicle struggled with him and he fled.
Meyers was armed with a knife in both incidents.
He was arrested by Lindenwold Police shortly after.
Meyers was transported to the Camden County Jail Wednesday.
new jersey, carjacking, local/state
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm 49 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia 44 min ago
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- 3 frigid days, another weekend storm
49 min ago
- Cab driver carjacked in South Philadelphia
44 min ago
- Police push burning car in New Hampshire
58 min ago