Heater blamed for fire that killed 2 in Germantown
GERMANTOWN - November 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Investigators have determined that a portable heater sparked Wednesday's deadly fire in Germantown.
Theresa Lukert and her roommate Beaufort Davis died from injuries sustained inside their home on the 6300 block of North Beechwood Street.
"They were best friends, two good people," said one victim's grandson, Juice Wood. "Best friends forever."
Family members were reeling upon hearing their loved ones lost their lives in the fast-moving fire. Word quickly traveled on the 63-hundred block of North Beechwood Street in Germantown that the two long-time residents, who were roommates, perished.
Neighbors say Theresa Lukert was Beaufort Davis' sister-in-law, and that Davis had moved in years ago to help after his brother died.
"He would come, put your trash out," said Tonya Sharkey, ""take your trash cans, put them in your alleyway for you. He would cut the lot down."
911 calls started coming in around 3:00 a.m. Wednesday. The first firefighters to arrive went into action immediately. The flames were heavy on the second floor, blowing out the windows.
"The fire just wouldn't go out upstairs," said neighbor Joyce Brown. "It just kept burning and burning. Every time you thought it was out, it was burning again."
When firefighters got to the second floor, they discovered Davis and pulled him out. He was rushed to Einstein Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Lukert had already succumbed when firefighters found her.
Philadelphia Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers says it appears Davis had been trying to battle the flames himself.
"In the bathroom, we found water running. We found a bucket in there," said Ayers. "So we're going to take a look at it. We're telling you, call 911. Do not try to fight the fire."
The fire commissioner says there were smoke alarms inside the home, but they weren't maintained. One was corroded. Another was found chirping in a downstairs drawer.
Still, responding firefighters recalled at least one detector upstairs going off. Later, they found potential electrical hazards as they inspected the home.
"A lot of bad things," said Ayers. "As soon as we walk in we see electrical wires wrapped around nails, extension cords all over the place."
fire, germantown, philadelphia, local/state
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 48 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 38 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford 32 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 52 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 52 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 52 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
48 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
52 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
52 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
38 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos