NJ man accused of hanging his dog
HIGHLANDS, N.J. (AP) -November 28, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a New Jersey man hanged and suffocated his dog because it growled at him while he tried to sleep.
Fifty-seven-year-old Philip Hollenbeak of Highlands faces charges stemming from the death of his Chesapeake Bay retriever.
Monmouth County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals chief Victor Amato tells the Asbury Park Press Hollenbeak put a choking collar on the 130-pound dog, attached a leash and swung the leash over a closet door.
Amato says Hollenbeak then called police on Tuesday to remove the dead animal.
animals, new jersey, local/state
- Screaming vandal smashes police car windows 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 32 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 24 min ago
- Couple attacked by cat say they'll get it help
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New Castle
34 min ago