AG: Fmr. Phila. DPW worker stole $330,000
PHILADELPHIA - November 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- A former employee of the Philadelphia Department of Public Welfare is accused of stealing more than $330,000 in public money.
Charges against Kyshima Montgomery, 23, of the 2900 block of North Judson Street, were announced by the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office on Thursday.
According to A.G. Linda Kelly, Montgomery used her role as a clerk at the West District office to funnel money and benefits into accounts for herself, friends and others without authorization.
The thefts happened between December 2010 and May 2011, Kelly said.
Montgomery allegedly made $235,648 in unauthorized payments to various Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) accounts, much of which was withdrawn as cash using various ATMs and bank branches in Philadelphia.
Additionally, Kelly said, Montgomery is accused of transferring an additional $104,310 to other EBT accounts, but those funds were frozen by the Department of Public Welfare before the money could be withdrawn.
Montgomery is charged with 17 counts of theft by deception, one count of criminal attempted theft by deception, 18 counts of criminal use of a communications facility, 18 counts of unlawful use of a computer and 14 counts of criminal conspiracy, all third-degree felonies which are each punishable by up to seven years in prison and $15,000 fines.
Montgomery is also charged with one count of theft by deception and one count of criminal conspiracy, both first-degree misdemeanors which are each punishable by up to five years in prison and $10,000 fines.
philadelphia, theft, local/state
- NJ forest fire threatens homes; evacuations ordered 5 min ago
- Sunny, blustery winds today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: 23 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Family escapes burning home in Bucks Co.
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Photos: People's 'Most Beautiful' list of 2014
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos