AG: Fmr. Phila. DPW worker stole $330,000
PHILADELPHIA - November 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- A former employee of the Philadelphia Department of Public Welfare is accused of stealing more than $330,000 in public money.
Charges against Kyshima Montgomery, 23, of the 2900 block of North Judson Street, were announced by the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office on Thursday.
According to A.G. Linda Kelly, Montgomery used her role as a clerk at the West District office to funnel money and benefits into accounts for herself, friends and others without authorization.
The thefts happened between December 2010 and May 2011, Kelly said.
Montgomery allegedly made $235,648 in unauthorized payments to various Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) accounts, much of which was withdrawn as cash using various ATMs and bank branches in Philadelphia.
Additionally, Kelly said, Montgomery is accused of transferring an additional $104,310 to other EBT accounts, but those funds were frozen by the Department of Public Welfare before the money could be withdrawn.
Montgomery is charged with 17 counts of theft by deception, one count of criminal attempted theft by deception, 18 counts of criminal use of a communications facility, 18 counts of unlawful use of a computer and 14 counts of criminal conspiracy, all third-degree felonies which are each punishable by up to seven years in prison and $15,000 fines.
Montgomery is also charged with one count of theft by deception and one count of criminal conspiracy, both first-degree misdemeanors which are each punishable by up to five years in prison and $10,000 fines.
philadelphia, theft, local/state
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman 11 min ago
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ