Two elderly men injured in "crime of opportunity"
OLNEY - November 29, 2012 (WPVI) -- Two elderly men are in the hospital after a crook barged into a home in the Olney section of Philadelphia in what police call a "crime of opportunity."
At approximately 2:30 p.m. Philadelphia police and medics were called out to a home on the 5900 block of North 4th Street.
Police say the men left the front door of the house open.
The suspect, who is in his 20s, walked right into the house and demanded car keys from the two victims.
The men gave the suspect their car keys.
Police say the suspect, who was not armed, then grabbed a tape dispenser from inside the home and threw it at the victims.
He then ran off.
The 76-year-old and 80-year-old victims were taken to Albert Einstein Medical Center.
Police say the victims' cars remained on the block and were not stolen.
Besides the car keys, it appeared nothing else was stolen from the home.
Authorities urge residents to lock their doors.
The search for the suspect continues.
philadelphia, olney, break-in, theft, burglary, local/state
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 37 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 10 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 16 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 21 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 27 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 45 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 36 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 45 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
16 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
21 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila....
36 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
37 min ago