Truck fire shuts down NB I-495 in Wilmington
WILMINGTON, Del. - December 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- A tractor trailer truck fire closed the northbound lanes of I-495 in Wilmington, Delaware early Monday.
The blaze broke out around 2:09 a.m. at the Terminal Avenue exit.
Officials say a 2007 Peterbilt tractor trailer was hauling a large amount of cardboard packaging material which caught fire.
Firefighters had to truck in water and use foam to fight the flames.
The driver, Carlos Castro, 32, of Hyattsville, MD, was not injured.
The fire left a large amount of debris scattered across the highway.
Commuters experienced delays throughout the morning as construction equipment and dumpsters were brought in to clean up the debris and clear the scene.
It took crews until 12:45 p.m. Monday to get all northbound lanes back open.
fire, accident, wilmington, delaware, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 37 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death 3 min ago
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 40 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 6 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
6 min ago