Cancer center at Walter Reed named for Murtha
WINDBER, Pa. (AP) - December 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- A cancer treatment program based at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center near Washington, D.C. is being named for the late Democrat U.S. Rep. John Murtha, and will include a research laboratory in western Pennsylvania.
The Tribune-Democrat of Johnstown reports the John P. Murtha Cancer Center was to be dedicated Monday at the military hospital in Bethesda, Md.
Murtha is being honored because, as the powerful chairman of the House Defense Appropriations subcommittee, he helped provide funding for the hospital and its research partnership with the Windber Research Institute in southwestern Pennsylvania, a few miles from Murtha's hometown of Johnstown.
Murtha died in February 2010 after 36 years representing Pennsylvania's 12th Congressional District.
congress, pennsylvania, local/state
- Snow Arriving 9 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Wintry weather forecast maps
- Photos: Images of Sunday's wintry mix 20 min ago
- Video: Eagles fan tailgate in the snow 19 min ago
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- East Oak Lane apartment fire under control
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Mandela
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- Susan Boyle says Asperger's diagnosis was a relief
- Snow Arriving
9 min ago