4-year-old boy, father shot in South Philadelphia
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - December 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- A 4-year-old boy and his father are hospitalized after a double shooting in South Philadelphia.
At approximately 7:20 p.m., Philadelphia police and medics were called out to the 2700 block of Daly Terrace in Wilson Park Apartments.
PHOTOS: Website/iPad Visitors | Wireless/App Visitors
Investigators say a 30-year-old man, his 4-year-old son and a 9-year-old girl were in a minivan when someone walked up, fired 9 shots, hitting the father and son.
"It's very tragic that two individuals were shot in the van, but the fact that the third occupant, a 9-year-old girl, was not struck is pretty miraculous," Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small said.
Police say the father was shot in the back and grazed in the head while his son suffered a gunshot to the stomach.
Both were transported to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
The child was then transported to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in critical, but stable condition.
The father is in stable condition at Penn.
Investigators believe the father was the intended target, but they don't have a motive.
"Everything is very preliminary, however, South Detectives are on location and they are going to question every witness," Small said.
Witnesses say the gunman, who they did not get a good look at, took off running on Vare Avenue.
Investigators say the father who was shot is no stranger to police, but they couldn't comment on his record.
philadelphia, south philadelphia, shooting, local/state
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet 51 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 5 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act