Exclusive: Major drug operation busted in Philly
NORTHERN LIBERTIES - December 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say they have busted a drug operation with tentacles reaching into different parts of the U.S., but all roads led to Philadelphia.
In the latest shipment to Philadelphia, investigators confiscated 250 pounds of Sour Diesel, high grade marijuana, which was packaged in airtight bundles hidden inside antique chests.
Investigators also seized $125,000 cash and even found furniture equipped with devices to hide the potent pot.
A task force of detectives with the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office, the Drug Enforcement Agency, and Philadelphia Police Department began to move in on the operation Thursday night.
The task force is part of HIDTA, the High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas program, aimed to stem the flow of drugs.
Only Action News was on scene as they raided a garage at 3rd and George in Northern Liberties Thursday.
Sources say the drug operation likely had been delivering the drugs roughly once a month.
After the drugs were shipped to Philadelphia by unsuspecting trucking companies, they were brought to the garage then sold on the streets of Philadelphia and New York City.
The major supplier, a California man whom we're not naming because he hasn't yet been formally charged, was arrested Monday night near the Sugarhouse Casino.
He thought he was collecting his cash for the large stash of Sour Diesel, instead he finds himself facing some very serious drug charges.
This investigation is still ongoing and given its sensitivity, we're not releasing some details, but Action News is told there will be more arrests.
philadelphia, northern liberties, drugs, local/state
- Actor James Gandolfini dies at 51 5 min ago
- Splendid spring finale
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Robbery suspect sought, Villanova U. locked down
- Crackdown on illegal street vendors in W. Phila.
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Viewer takes photos of bear in back yard
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Suspect robs Philadelphia Dunkin' Donuts at gunpoint
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
- Video: Phila. choir shares stage with Rolling Stones