Exclusive: Major drug operation busted in Philly
NORTHERN LIBERTIES - December 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say they have busted a drug operation with tentacles reaching into different parts of the U.S., but all roads led to Philadelphia.
In the latest shipment to Philadelphia, investigators confiscated 250 pounds of Sour Diesel, high grade marijuana, which was packaged in airtight bundles hidden inside antique chests.
Investigators also seized $125,000 cash and even found furniture equipped with devices to hide the potent pot.
A task force of detectives with the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office, the Drug Enforcement Agency, and Philadelphia Police Department began to move in on the operation Thursday night.
The task force is part of HIDTA, the High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas program, aimed to stem the flow of drugs.
Only Action News was on scene as they raided a garage at 3rd and George in Northern Liberties Thursday.
Sources say the drug operation likely had been delivering the drugs roughly once a month.
After the drugs were shipped to Philadelphia by unsuspecting trucking companies, they were brought to the garage then sold on the streets of Philadelphia and New York City.
The major supplier, a California man whom we're not naming because he hasn't yet been formally charged, was arrested Monday night near the Sugarhouse Casino.
He thought he was collecting his cash for the large stash of Sour Diesel, instead he finds himself facing some very serious drug charges.
This investigation is still ongoing and given its sensitivity, we're not releasing some details, but Action News is told there will be more arrests.
philadelphia, northern liberties, drugs, local/state
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay 51 min ago
- Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- SEPTA bus strikes and kills man
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- Man freed from under train on Broad Street Line
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Video released in pizza delivery driver shooting
- Mega Million jackpot reaches $297 Million
- Elkins Park sisters treated at KoP by Make-a-Wish