Exclusive: Major drug operation busted in Philly
NORTHERN LIBERTIES - December 3, 2012 (WPVI) -- Authorities say they have busted a drug operation with tentacles reaching into different parts of the U.S., but all roads led to Philadelphia.
In the latest shipment to Philadelphia, investigators confiscated 250 pounds of Sour Diesel, high grade marijuana, which was packaged in airtight bundles hidden inside antique chests.
Investigators also seized $125,000 cash and even found furniture equipped with devices to hide the potent pot.
A task force of detectives with the Pennsylvania Attorney General's Office, the Drug Enforcement Agency, and Philadelphia Police Department began to move in on the operation Thursday night.
The task force is part of HIDTA, the High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas program, aimed to stem the flow of drugs.
Only Action News was on scene as they raided a garage at 3rd and George in Northern Liberties Thursday.
Sources say the drug operation likely had been delivering the drugs roughly once a month.
After the drugs were shipped to Philadelphia by unsuspecting trucking companies, they were brought to the garage then sold on the streets of Philadelphia and New York City.
The major supplier, a California man whom we're not naming because he hasn't yet been formally charged, was arrested Monday night near the Sugarhouse Casino.
He thought he was collecting his cash for the large stash of Sour Diesel, instead he finds himself facing some very serious drug charges.
This investigation is still ongoing and given its sensitivity, we're not releasing some details, but Action News is told there will be more arrests.
philadelphia, northern liberties, drugs, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 24 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken 21 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown 19 min ago
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 41 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Photos: Royal family kicks off tour of Australia
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos