Police: Suspect robs Montco supermarket with fake bomb
BLUE BELL, Pa. - December 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Montgomery County are looking for the man who they say strapped a fake bomb to his chest when he robbed a grocery store overnight.
Whitpain Township Police were called just before midnight Tuesday to the Giant Food Store located on the 1700 block of DeKalb Pike in Blue Bell for a report of a robbery.
Authorities say a white man wearing a blue hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans, and white sneakers demanded money from the employee at a register. The man told the clerk he was carrying a bomb, and then showed her the device.
The cashier opened the register, the suspect took the money and then fled the store.
In his escape, the robber dropped the device on the grounds of the supermarket. It was discovered later by police. The bomb squad was called in, and when they took a look at the device, they were able to determine it was not an explosive.
This particular Giant Food Store is open 24 hours a day, and Action News is told that there were customers inside when the robbery took place. Thankfully, there are no reports of injuries.
Initial reports indicate that the robber didn't make off with a whole lot of cash - only about one hundred dollars. In addition, surveillance cameras captured two pictures of the suspect. Police are hoping someone will recognize the man and contact investigators.
robbery, bomb scare, montgomery county, pennsylvania, local/state
- 2 winners in $636M Mega Millions drawing 57 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill
- Husband charged with wife's murder in Bethlehem 23 min ago
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken
- Fire damages South Philadelphia apartment
- Man shot several times in stomach in Chester 10 min ago
- Police: Job applicant stole from tip jar 16 min ago
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor