Police: Suspect robs Montco supermarket with fake bomb
BLUE BELL, Pa. - December 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police in Montgomery County are looking for the man who they say strapped a fake bomb to his chest when he robbed a grocery store overnight.
Whitpain Township Police were called just before midnight Tuesday to the Giant Food Store located on the 1700 block of DeKalb Pike in Blue Bell for a report of a robbery.
Authorities say a white man wearing a blue hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans, and white sneakers demanded money from the employee at a register. The man told the clerk he was carrying a bomb, and then showed her the device.
The cashier opened the register, the suspect took the money and then fled the store.
In his escape, the robber dropped the device on the grounds of the supermarket. It was discovered later by police. The bomb squad was called in, and when they took a look at the device, they were able to determine it was not an explosive.
This particular Giant Food Store is open 24 hours a day, and Action News is told that there were customers inside when the robbery took place. Thankfully, there are no reports of injuries.
Initial reports indicate that the robber didn't make off with a whole lot of cash - only about one hundred dollars. In addition, surveillance cameras captured two pictures of the suspect. Police are hoping someone will recognize the man and contact investigators.
robbery, bomb scare, montgomery county, pennsylvania, local/state
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar 31 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen 12 min ago
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
12 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
31 min ago