2 charged for impersonating cops in Philly
PHILADELPHIA - December 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- Two men have been charged for two separate incidents in which they allegedly impersonated police officers in Philadelphia.
Michael Green, 30, of Glenside, Montgomery County and Julian Collins, 22, of Philadelphia were arrested for the incidents on Wednesday night.
Police say Green was one of two men in a Chevy Malibu who made a traffic stop in the 4300 block of McMenamy Street.
Investigators say they made the stop while flashing red and blue emergency lights.
"One of the guys had a shirt with the word 'police' written on it," said Philadelphia Police Lieutenant John Stamford told Action News on Thursday. "It's not an official police shirt."
Stamford said both suspects were armed with guns when they forced three victims out of their Chevy Silverado, handcuffed them, pushed them back into the truck and drove off with the victims in the back seat.
The suspects stole two of their cell phones. After a struggle, the victims somehow escaped. Police later found the would-be hostages still handcuffed. One suffered a broken arm.
The suspects' Chevy Malibu was later recovered at Hartell and Walker Streets.
The second suspect in this case remains at large.
Within the hour on the same night, Philadelphia Police stumbled across a second police impersonator in the same area.
Police tell Action News a victim pulled into a 7-Eleven parking lot on the 9000 block of Frankford Avenue and was followed by a suspect driving a Toyota Camry. The Camry was flashing a strobe light, and the suspect identified himself as a police officer.
"While this was taking place," said Stamford, "two Philadelphia Police officers in the area observed this incident taking place."
The suspect, Julian Collins, was arrested at the scene.
Police tell Action News the two incidents do not appear related. They are advising people that if you're pulled over by an unmarked vehicle, take precautions.
"Do not hesitate to call 911," said Stamford. "Give a location of where you are, a description of the person stopping you, and tell 911 dispatchers that you're requesting marked unit."
police impersonator, police, philadelphia, local/state
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate 9 min ago
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance...
9 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos