DA: Pa. prison guard killed wife, turned self in
TINICUM, Pa. (AP) -December 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- A suburban Philadelphia prison guard allegedly shot and killed his wife then went to a police station to calmly turn himself in while still wearing his blood-stained clothes.
Authorities say corrections officer Winlaw Muzirwa walked into the Tinicum Township police station on Wednesday morning and asked to be put in handcuffs. Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan says Muzirwa soon confessed to killing his wife, Daisy Janbawo.
Investigators say shortly later they discovered Janbawo shot in the head and back in an upstairs bedroom of the couple's home.
Court documents say Muzirwa tried to kill himself after shooting his wife but the weapon misfired.
Muzirwa had been on disability leave from his job with a private company that operates the county prison. Court records don't list an attorney for him.
homicide, delaware county, pennsylvania, local/state
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody 2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 34 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane 36 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
2 min ago
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold...
34 min ago