NJ's 1st medical marijuana dispensary opening
MONTCLAIR, N.J. (AP) - December 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- The first medical marijuana patients in New Jersey are set to get state-sanctioned pot for the first time.
Greenleaf Compassion Center in Montclair is set to open Thursday, becoming the state's first legal dispensary.
It's taken nearly three years to get to this point since the law went on the books legalizing cannabis for patients with certain conditions in New Jersey. Patients say it relieves pain and nausea associated with glaucoma, multiple sclerosis and other medical conditions.
More than 330 patients have registered so far. But only 20 of them are to be allowed into the shop per day at first. And they can get their medicine only by appointment.
State Health Commissioner Mary O'Dowd says her department will monitor the process.
medical marijuana, new jersey, local/state
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket 1 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ 33 min ago
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- On video: Armed robber fails after KFC workers flee
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos