Former school director faces federal teen sex case
SCRANTON, Pa. (AP) - December 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- A former school board member now faces federal charges for allegedly grooming five boys for sexual contact and authorities suspect there are still more victims.
Former Scranton school director Mark Kandel is being detained pending trial after being indicted Tuesday on five counts of online enticement. The 52-year-old Kandel, of Blakely, pleaded not guilty at an arraignment Wednesday.
Investigators say Kandel bought his victims presents or provided them with alcohol in return for massages, pictures and other contact. Kandel allegedly admitted having sexual contact with another minor in a conversation with one of the boys.
Defense attorney Frank Santomauro says prosecutors are relying on speculation and interpretation to make their case.
County prosecutors charged Kandel last month with sending sexually explicit texts to a minor.
sex, teens, pennsylvania, local/state
- Apartments evacuated in Bucks Co. hazmat investigation 18 min ago
- Sunny and Cooler!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash 43 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd. 35 min ago
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ