Former school director faces federal teen sex case
SCRANTON, Pa. (AP) - December 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- A former school board member now faces federal charges for allegedly grooming five boys for sexual contact and authorities suspect there are still more victims.
Former Scranton school director Mark Kandel is being detained pending trial after being indicted Tuesday on five counts of online enticement. The 52-year-old Kandel, of Blakely, pleaded not guilty at an arraignment Wednesday.
Investigators say Kandel bought his victims presents or provided them with alcohol in return for massages, pictures and other contact. Kandel allegedly admitted having sexual contact with another minor in a conversation with one of the boys.
Defense attorney Frank Santomauro says prosecutors are relying on speculation and interpretation to make their case.
County prosecutors charged Kandel last month with sending sexually explicit texts to a minor.
sex, teens, pennsylvania, local/state
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 39 min ago
- Clouds to sun, cool today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del.... 39 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape