Former school director faces federal teen sex case
SCRANTON, Pa. (AP) - December 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- A former school board member now faces federal charges for allegedly grooming five boys for sexual contact and authorities suspect there are still more victims.
Former Scranton school director Mark Kandel is being detained pending trial after being indicted Tuesday on five counts of online enticement. The 52-year-old Kandel, of Blakely, pleaded not guilty at an arraignment Wednesday.
Investigators say Kandel bought his victims presents or provided them with alcohol in return for massages, pictures and other contact. Kandel allegedly admitted having sexual contact with another minor in a conversation with one of the boys.
Defense attorney Frank Santomauro says prosecutors are relying on speculation and interpretation to make their case.
County prosecutors charged Kandel last month with sending sexually explicit texts to a minor.
sex, teens, pennsylvania, local/state
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken 34 min ago
- Fire damages South Philadelphia apartment
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Woman found murdered in Bethlehem
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Harvard student charged in campus bomb hoax
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken
34 min ago