Students in West Oak Lane get new library
PHILADELPHIA - December 7, 2012 (WPVI) -- It was a big day for some students in West Oak Lane. It was the official unveiling of a library to call their own.
Can you imagine a school without a library? Until Friday morning, that was the reality at Rowen Elementary School in West Oak Lane.
The school hadn't had one worth talking about in more than 15 years.
"We worked extremely hard. We garnered support from our home and school; we garnered support from our parents. Students worked. We had an MLK Day of service where we cleaned out and weeded out so many books," said Principal James Murray.
Having a school with no library didn't sit right with Callie Hammond creator of a non-profit called Library Build.
She lined up volunteers, raised cash, and set out to give Rowen books and all the other resources.
"I just didn't put too much thought at the beginning and I just went for it, and took one step at a time," said Hammond.
All those steps took almost a year, with the help of many people and a good deal of money.
Rowen dedicated the new library Friday morning, and the students are thankful and eager to enjoy the books.
"I think it is really cool, because all of the kids can come down here and read the books that they really like," said 5th grader Markeith Johnson.
"What I want to really, really, really want to read about is the 'Jacket Annie Magic Tree House' books, because I always read every series," said Tyjon White.
"I think it's wonderful because you can check out all the books you want and read all of the information you want. It's pretty good," said Andrew Corney.
"It is really cool, because it used to not be really good books there, and now it's good books here," said Ashley Jones.
Friday's newness may go away, but hopefully, the kids will never outgrow their love of reading.
The Rowen library is intended to serve the entire school family.
"It is for educators, it's for students, it's for our parents," said Principal Murray.
school, west oak lane, philadelphia, local/state, rick williams
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 11 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm 29 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 28 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 35 min ago
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in...
15 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
28 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos