Attempted copper theft at PECO sub-station
NORTHERN LIBERTIES - December 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police and power crews are investigating an attempted copper theft from a PECO sub-station in Northern Liberties.
It happened around 3:00 Sunday morning at the Laurel sub-station on the 1000 block of Germantown Avenue.
Neighbors reported seeing a bright flash coming from the area.
Fire crews arrived and found a pair of bolt cutters clamped onto a 2400 volt cable in an apparent attempt to steal it.
Police are checking local hospitals to see if anyone was injured during the theft.
There were no power outages reported with the incident.
PECO advises that people stay away from their power equipment due to the danger risk.
The incident remains under investigation.
philadelphia, northern liberties, theft, PECO, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target 57 min ago
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery 3 min ago
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses 59 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed 4 min ago
- Police search for suspects in religious...
3 min ago