Attempted copper theft at PECO sub-station
NORTHERN LIBERTIES - December 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police and power crews are investigating an attempted copper theft from a PECO sub-station in Northern Liberties.
It happened around 3:00 Sunday morning at the Laurel sub-station on the 1000 block of Germantown Avenue.
Neighbors reported seeing a bright flash coming from the area.
Fire crews arrived and found a pair of bolt cutters clamped onto a 2400 volt cable in an apparent attempt to steal it.
Police are checking local hospitals to see if anyone was injured during the theft.
There were no power outages reported with the incident.
PECO advises that people stay away from their power equipment due to the danger risk.
The incident remains under investigation.
philadelphia, northern liberties, theft, PECO, local/state
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City 10 min ago
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3rd suspect ID'd in Exton jewelry store theft
- Saints will trade Sproles to Eagles; Birds sign Carroll
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Malaysia: No debris in area shown on China images
- 2 weeks after waking up in body bag, Miss. man dies 39 min ago
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- High winds cause damage across the region
- Photos: Pictures from Thursday's wind damage
- Christie talks taxes at town hall meeting
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad