Attempted copper theft at PECO sub-station
NORTHERN LIBERTIES - December 9, 2012 (WPVI) -- Police and power crews are investigating an attempted copper theft from a PECO sub-station in Northern Liberties.
It happened around 3:00 Sunday morning at the Laurel sub-station on the 1000 block of Germantown Avenue.
Neighbors reported seeing a bright flash coming from the area.
Fire crews arrived and found a pair of bolt cutters clamped onto a 2400 volt cable in an apparent attempt to steal it.
Police are checking local hospitals to see if anyone was injured during the theft.
There were no power outages reported with the incident.
PECO advises that people stay away from their power equipment due to the danger risk.
The incident remains under investigation.
philadelphia, northern liberties, theft, PECO, local/state
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote 31 min ago
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos