Stores reopen after Walnut St water main break
December 10, 2012 (WPVI) -- A weekend water main break on a busy Center City street is still impacting businesses, and motorists. It's bad news during a busy holiday season.
The 1600 block of Walnut Street is still shut down as work to fix the water main break is continues. The good news is, water is back on and the shops are all open.
City Sports employee Seth Tiffany tells Action News, "There was just cracks running down Walnut Street and water running out of it."
The water main break happened Saturday. Water poured onto the popular shopping spot, closing down Walnut between 16th and 17th streets and slowing down shoppers.
Seth Tiffany says, "It was so quiet in here. We actually lost some hours but it wasn't too bad. We closed a half an hour just because the traffic was so slow."
In the past few months there have been several water main breaks in the city. In October, a 36 inch main broke at 3rd and Walnut in Old City and back in July a 4 foot wide main ruptured, shutting down the intersection of 21st and Bainbridge streets for months.
Those mains were much bigger than this one on Walnut, but the timing and location definitely causing some big problems.
"It's started to pick up now," explains Seth Tiffany.
Water is back on and people are once again able to walk on the street. Businesses are hoping they can make up the lost time.
"It's not as busy because we usually expect more traffic over the holiday season, but we have faith Philly will clean it up," said Tiffany.
PGW and PECO crews were both out on the scene repairing their infrastructure on Monday. That work could take one to two weeks , so the stretch of Walnut Street where the break occurred will be closed until they are done.
center city, philadelphia, water main break, local/state
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought 19 min ago
- Tracking Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- Suspect sought after West Philadelphia bank robbery
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos